Principle Management of AGN

* In General NO specific Tx for AGN. The Tx is SYMPTOMATIC only

1) Confirm Dx of AGN (Send Ix)
    - BP (High) --> plot at BP centile 
    - UFEME & C+S --> RBC
    - BUSE --> Renal Fx
    - Ser C3($), C4 (n)
    - ASOT (>200 IU/mL)/ Throat/Skin swab & culture
    - FBC; Hb, TWBC

2) 10 days course of Penicillin
     - Initially IV C. Pen 30 mg/kg QID (1mg = 1667U)
     - Then change to PO Pen V 7.5-15 mg/kg QID

3) Tx Edema (d/t salt & water retention)
    - ROF & salt intake

4) Tx Hypertension (Diuretics/ AntiHPT)
    - T. Frusemide 1-2 mg/kg BD
    - T. Nifedipine 0.5-1 mg/kg BD

5) Tx Fever with Anti-Pyretics
    - PCM 15 mg/kg 4HRly (max 4g/day)
    * 1 Tab = 500 mg

6) Monitoring
   - Strict I/O Charting (plus urine colour)
   - Nephrotic Charting (daily albumin & BP target < 90th centile)
   - VSx 4HRly
   - RP daily ---> Renal failure

7) Monitor for Cx & Tx appropriately
   - HPT Encephalopathy -->
     c/o headace, vomiting, blurry vision, seizure, altered conscious
     * do Fundoscopy 
   - Acute Cardiac Failure
   - Acute Renal Failure (Oliguria < 300 mg/m2/day)
   - Progressive Glomerulonephritis 
   - Nephrotic Syndrome (Pro; nephrotic range 3+/ > 1g/m2/day)


8) Follow Up
   - For at least 1 year
   - Monitor BP every visit
   - UFEME & RP ---> asses recovery
   - repeat C3 6 weeks later if not normalised on the time of discharge 

9) Outcome
  - Short term: Excellent, mortality < 0.5%
  - Long term: 1.8% dev CKD; should referred to Paeds Nephrologist
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

About this blog

This is all a collection of what I have learnt during my medical student years, most of them are already a simplified version, very clinical, and comes from what my Lecturer had thought.... I love to make notes in my own way, so that I can have a better understanding on what I have seen.... I hope, this will benefit all people, especially medical students... so that you will get this right... but just bear in mind... I'm a human too... so, mistakes is still in my dictionary of life.... so, please correct me if I'm wrong... Really2x appreciate that....

Thank You....

About Me

My photo
Just a simple guy with a lot of things going on his mind... love to please others and help others who in need... Hoping that every nice moment in his life could be shared with others as well...(coz it's not much)